Bossier Parish Community College students brought home many awards recently at the state SkillsUSA competition in Lake Charles, LA.
BPCC won gold medals in 14 different categories; silver in 10 different categories; and bronze in seven different categories. Forty-four students won 54 medals and represented design programs, technical programs, artistic programs, communication programs, engineering programs, and overall leadership programs.
“Competitions like this provide unique incentive for students to further refine their skills outside of the classroom environment and then to measure their development against other high performing students,” says Jim Boyter, BPCC’s SkillsUSA chapter advisor. “The diverse group representing BPCC this year will demonstrate the world-class training that our students receive.”
Boyter also received the state SkillsUSA Advisor of the Year.
Twenty-nine of the 44 state student winners will be heading to Nationals in Louisville, KY in June to represent BPCC. The SkillsUSA National Championships include more than 6,000 outstanding career and technical education students –– all state contest winners –– competing hands-on in 100 different trade, technical and leadership fields. Students work against the clock and each other, proving their expertise in occupations such as electronics, computer-aided drafting, precision machining, medical assisting and culinary arts. Contests are run with the help of industry, trade associations and labor organizations, and test competencies are set by industry.
Below is the list of BPCC student winners:
Gold Medal winners:
- Audio/Radio Production – Kayla Kennedy; Thomas Pilkinton
- Broadcast News Production – Emily Barmore; Danny Foots; Sara Patterson; Chris Hale
- Community Action Project – Hannah Retiz; Cody Retiz
- Digital Cinema Production – Michael Jennings; LyDarius Kirkendoll
- Employment Application Process – Matthew Wallace
- Engineering Technology/Design – Mark Mangaoang; Juan Flores; Paul Vu
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies – Darryl Ware; Paige Werner; Danny Foots; Sydney Parker; Emily Barmore;
- Sara Patterson; Farin Wise
- Photography – Paige Werner
- Prepared Speech – Sydney Green
- Promotional Bulletin Board – Martha Claire Lepore; Jennifer Henson; Caitlyn Chase
- Related Technical Math – Paul Vu
- Restaurant Service – David Falkner
- State Pin Contest – Alex Richardson
- State T-shirt Contest – Alex Richardson
Silver Medal winners:
- Broadcast News Production – Melanie Flores; Adam Stampley; Sydney Parker; Bailey Harvey
- Employment Application Process – Brooke Boggs
- Engineering Technology/Design – Thomas Hornbuckle; Panharith Bel
- Information Technology Services – Dakota Ferry
- Prepared Speech – Samuel Wolfe
- Principles of Engineering – Juan Flores
- Promotional Bulletin Board – Amanda Macy; Charles Corbett; Lindsey Hall-Rummings
- Related Technical Math – Joseph Lemoine,
- Restaurant Service – John Schwarz
- Web Design – Ethan Hagan;Taveon Morrison
Bronze Medal winners:
- Action Skills – Cody Retiz
- Advertising Design – Stephanie Hennan
- Photography – Martha Claire Lepore
- Related Technical Math – Mark Mangaoang
- State Pin Contest – Justin Lee
- Web Design – Malcolm Golden; Skylar Masson
- Welding – Justin Morris
Two BPCC students were elected to serve as state officers for the next year. Sara Patterson will serve as president and Ethan Hagan will serve as vice president. They will be attending three days of leadership training while at the national competition.
BPCC faculty and staff mentors in the different categories prepare the students for the competition each year and attend the competition for guidance and support.